[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS evolution.

Paul paul at lavender-fam.net
Tue Nov 13 11:53:18 CET 2007

There have been a number of topics since I raised this problem. My
opinion is:

1. We do actually need some sort of ATOM driver. I know some of you were
asking 'Why?'. There are a couple of reasons, the first being that there
are actually some atomic clocks out there and secondly that cheap GPS
modules do not provide reliable NMEA data.

2. The CAT solution looks pretty weak if you are writing a HowTo for
LinuxPPS (I'm working on one at the moment). It is just the thing to
discourage a newbie.

3. Can't the OPEN be in ppsctl or something similar so you only have to
do one thing to that port.

4. Although it would be nice to use the rest of the serial port for
something else is it necessary? There isn't much else today that uses
that port.

5. Perhaps the future is only to use the NMEA patch as general purpose,
so the NMEA patch becomes renamed the PPS patch.

6. By the way the NMEA patch is written against p2, are you sure it is
still O.K. against p4? I was getting some odd segmentation faults, but I
didn't have time to investigate further.

Paul