[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS evolution.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Tue Nov 13 00:34:58 CET 2007

The LinuxPPS has evolved over the last year from something very
different to the code in its present form.

I guess I have to ask the question why we have the /dev/pps<n> file
at all in its current implementation.

It would seem that all the discussion that we have been having about
parent/child files and opening this before you can do that, would
just go away IF the ioctl that we currently do on the pps<n> file
was done on the 'parent' file instead.  The internal code could remain the
same (almost) but the ioctl would be done on the parent rather than
the child.

For things to work these two (parent / child) clearly know about one
another so moving the ioctl to the other device (or adding a 2nd ioctl)
would seem possible.

And we would be back to an API that everyone understands, just one
file for our standard case.  Whether the /dev/pps<n> files (and an ioctl
there) would be useful for some of Rodolfo's strange devices is a question
I can't answer).

Is this crazy or possible?

--
                                        Reg.Clemens