[LinuxPPS] Cloning git repository, and git diff made a 37 MB patch file

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Sat Nov 17 17:38:49 CET 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 09:03:15AM -0600, MasonCide wrote:

> I've used the linuxpps git repository, with success, many times.  I can't get
> it to work anymore.  git-diff linux-vanilla master > mypatch generates a 37
> MB file.  I don't know what to do, or what is wrong.  It worked before.  I
> don't know what changed.  Can I generate diff using my kernel sources
> in /usr/src/linux and my linuxpps clone, like this:
>
> git diff /usr/src/linux master > mydiff.diff?

When you are in the "master" branch, try:

	git diff v2.6.23 > mydiff.diff

> I tried the ntp-pps-2.6.23-quater.diff off the ftp directory, and it patched
> perfectly with 2.6.23.1 vanilla source, but it's not receiving the pps
> signal.  I tried enabling /dev/ttyS0 with ppsctl, and udev created /dev/pps0,
> but it is character device 254 0, not 253 0 like in the wiki help page.  When
> I used ppstest on /dev/pps0, it timed out many times.

I think I need find some time to add this question to the FAQs page in
the wiki... however, maybe you need to:

1) open the /dev/ttyS* port, try for instance command "cat
/dev/ttyS0", this hould enable your serial port in order to receive
PPS signal on the IRQ line, and/or

2) send some special command to the GPS antenna throught the serial
port in order to enable PPS signal generation (please, refere to the
GPS antenna manual).

> I tried reading /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert and clear, but the numbers didn't
> change with successive reads.  I did not compile in debug messages with pps.
> Ntp-4.2.2p4, with the NMEA patch from the ntp bugs site, compiles, but
> timex.h is found, but won't compile.  Ntp cannot find a pps source, but
> syslog logs a new pps source when I do ./ppsctl /dev/ttyS0 enable.

I don't have a NMEA GPS antenna so I cannot help you, but maybe Udo
can help.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127