[LinuxPPS] NTP not using PPS

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Tue Oct 23 19:49:46 CEST 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 05:13:40PM -0000, susmi sarah george wrote:

>    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 Rodolfo Giometti wrote :
>    >On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 04:37:17PM -0000, susmi sarah george wrote:
>    > >    Hi,
>    > >
>    > >    I am using
>    > >    Kernel :2.6.23rc2,
>    > >    PPS patch: ntp -pps-2.6.23rc2.diff,
>    >
>    >Please, try using latest LinuxPPS patch.
>          i dont have internet facility in my time server.so i cant use git
>    method. so, please send me latest version of LINUXPPS- Patch.Currently i
>    am using ntp-pps-2.6.23rc2.diff.

You don't need git. Please, refere here:

	http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/patches/

looking at README file.

>    >
>    > >    NTP version: ntp-4.2.4P4
>    > >    I have complied the Kernel with Serial Driver,PPS support as a
>    > >    module.Under the PPS SUPPORT I have selected PPS debugging
>    message,UART
>    > >    serial support.
>    > >    I am using GPS Receiver TRIMBLE ACE 3 . The Receiver is Configured
>    for
>    > >    TSIP Output and PPS.Data and PPS from GPS receiver is fed to MAX232
>    and
>    > >    output of MAX232 is fed to DCD pin of serial port.The serial port I
>    have
>    > >    used is ttys3.
>    > >    I complied Ntp-4.2.4p4 with USE="parse_clocks"  then i have given
>    like
>    >
>    >Did you enabled PPSAPI?
>          i dont know how to enable PPSAPI when we install NTP. but i have
>    done following things for PPS
>
>    setserial /dev/ttyS3 hardpps
>    cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/path
>    /dev/ttyS3
>    ./ppsctl /dev/ttyS3 enable.
>
>        i got device link for pps(/dev/pps0).
>    The above mentioned things only i have done for PPS.

This is correct from LinuxPPS point of view, but did you enable PPS
support during NTPD compilation stage? Please refere to NTPD home
page.

>    >
>    > >    this
>    > >    ln -s /dev/ttyS3 /dev/refclock-3
>    >
>    >This is not enought, you also need to tell to NTPD which is you PPS
>    >source with something like:
>    >
>    >    ln -s /dev/pps0 /dev/refclockpps-3
>    >
>    >However the above command depends on your specific refclock.
>    >
>          i am using parse driver(Generic) for TSIP Support.I dont know how to
>    give link for this driver.i tried above link,but result is same(No output
>    related to PPS).

The above link was just an example. Looking at PARSE refclock home page
(http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver8.html) you see that the
neede link are:

	ln -s <your ttyS* device> /dev/refclock-<TTY mode according to clock type>
	ln -s /dev/pps<your PPS device id> /dev/refclockpps-<TTY mode according to clock type>

>    >Please, also verify that your refclock driver supports latest
>    >LinuxPPS's API.
>        In that file (refclock_parse.c) i can see many things related to
>    PPS.but i dont  know how to check that the driver supports Latest LinuxPPS
>    API.

Parse should support LinuxPPS even if it's not tested yet! :)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127