[LinuxPPS] Newbie alert!

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 6 11:05:30 CEST 2008

Neal Probert wrote:
> Just joined up!  The website doesn't seem to have all the information
> I'm looking for.

What info are you looking for?

> Is LinuxPPS being merged into the Linux kernel?

Yes, perhaps in the (near) future.

> A little googling
> around tells me it is part of the 2.6.24 kernel now.

Tell Linus because this is not yet the case, as far as I know.
Check linux-kernel and this mailinglist to see the progress.

> Is there a hardware hack and schematic for bringing in the PPS pulse
> from a serial GPS device to the DCD pin?

I assume your serial port (which?) is documented.
I assume your GPS (which?) is documented.
Please read the documentation, then return.

> Communications (DSRC) radio synchronization used by US-DOT's VII project.

What's the VII project? Does sound like an old, scary rocket to me.

> give us better than 1m resolution with corrections.

Did the DoD remove all diluting measures from civilian GPS?
If so: it is a problem of the system as  it is.
Ask for opening up the military GPS.