[LinuxPPS] Using GPS for automotive applications

Neal Probert nprobert at probestar.com
Sun Apr 6 16:11:56 CEST 2008

VII
---
This is a US-DOT funded project with involvement from most of the
automotive companies and a dozen other suppliers/vendors.  There are a
number of experimental public, safety and private applications being
developed.

    http://www.its.dot.gov/vii/

Most of work we're doing is still research and development, working to
get the cost of GPS units down and find ways to improve accuracy and
precision in the moving vehicle.

DSRC is basically a WiFi link at 5.9Ghz.  We're using Linux because it's
a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to add a new network protocol stack
to an open source operating system.

The VII testing in taking place in Farmington Hills/Novi in the Detroit,
Michigan area.  Another test area is in California.

GPS
---
DoD has removed all dilution from the satellite signals.  There is a new
generation of satellites (block III) going up in the next decade or so
that drastically improves the accuracy and precision.  That implies new
GPS receivers, of course.

The DGPS signal is sent from a local DGPS base station to the traffic
lights which is broadcast to the test vehicles.  At this point in time,
it's not a significant improvement.  We're probably looking at using
each traffic light as a virtual reference station in the future.

Automotive
----------
Most automotive GPSes use the speed input from the vehicle, so they can
do a little dead reckoning.  Most consumer grade GPSes are often based
on the ARM chipset, so only support single precision floating point
math.  So SiRF and u-Blox, even with corrections, aren't good enough.

For VII, we're doing 100 msec extrapolations based on vehicle speed,
acceleration and yaw available from the vehicle's CAN bus.  A lot of
information is available from modern vehicles because it's used for
anti-lock brakes, traction control systems, vehicle dynamics control, ...

Some folks are adding an IMU which helps in cases where you need dead
reckoning in the urban canyon.  Spend a little more money we can get
higher quality (a lot more money in the case of the Applanix) positioning.

Linux Kernel
------------
The PPS integration is important for DSRC radio synchronization and
keeping the OS clock in sync.

So I'm looking at waiting on the 2.6.26 kernel, so it looks like I'll
need to be patching the latest Ubuntu kernels to get what I need.

So, yes, it would be very handy and helpful to get this integrated into
the kernel as soon as possible.  It would be a huge win for Linux.

PPS Interface
The simplest way I can see interfacing the PPS is through a MAX232 chip
into the serial port's DCD input.  Right?

Keywords to Google: VII, DSRC, 802.11p, IEEE 1609, SAE J2735

--

             *** ProbeStar Telematics, LLC.  ***
  Automotive, Mobile and Embedded Communications Consulting

==// Neal W. Probert (President)   / Email: nprobert at probestar.com //
=// Web: www.probestar.com        / Phone: 248-522-6836           //=
// Fax:                          / Cell:                         //==