[LinuxPPS] Newbie alert!

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Sun Apr 6 23:04:40 CEST 2008

> A crucial issue is that we also need to start seeing GPS devices that
> give us better than 1m resolution with corrections.

Within the last month a read an article, that responded to the comment
"with corrections".  My recollection is that with the Satellite corrections
being broadcast by the FAA (?) on two satellites, the position error is
down to 2 (mabe 5)m.  With the information being broadcast at LF (~200KHz)
by the Coast Guard and DOT (?) from a number of towers along the coast
and in the interior (one is here in Albuquerque) the error is on the order of
1/2 m.

There's lots of money behind the first project, very little behind the 2nd.
It seems to be living from year to year, and to my knowledge a LF receiver
for these signals is not built into any GPS receiver (it requires an external
box)
while receiving the FAA signal is built into a number of GPS units.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com