[LinuxPPS] Suggestion: inputattach rather than ppsldisc

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Wed Aug 27 16:26:01 CEST 2008

Hi Folks,

There is a program called inputattach written by Vojtech Pavlik which
included in almost every linux distribution, and it does pretty much
exactly the same thing as ppsldisc.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/dtor/inputattach.c

Maybe the ppsldisc features could be added here rather than creating
a new package just for ppsldisc?  This might also make it easier to
get support merged into major linux distributions.

One thing to note about inputattach is that it sets the line disc
to N_MOUSE, this has evidently become the favoured "dumping ground"
for all sorts of "extra" features, with a second ioctl() to chose
which specific type of device.  Whether this is a better solution
than to introduce a new line discipline, is a matter of debate I guess.

Disclaimer: I have been lurking on the list for a while and have been
meaning to actually try out the new pps stuff, but haven't managed to
find the time so far.

-Ralph