[LinuxPPS] Suggestion: inputattach rather than ppsldisc

Cirilo Bernardo cirilo.bernardo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 01:43:19 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Ralph Siemsen <ralphs at netwinder.org> wrote:
[snip]
> One thing to note about inputattach is that it sets the line disc
> to N_MOUSE, this has evidently become the favoured "dumping ground"
> for all sorts of "extra" features, with a second ioctl() to chose
> which specific type of device.  Whether this is a better solution
> than to introduce a new line discipline, is a matter of debate I guess.

The N_PPS is essential for using the DCD interrupt with LinuxPPS; I
see no point in hacking N_MOUSE for that purpose.

Also, there was a previous discussion on using a config file with
ppsldisc; hacking that into inputattach would make a monster.
Personally I prefer to make ppsldisc a daemon.  It's probably only a
few hours work, but I don't have the few hours and I don't have a GPS
with a PPS line on DCD to test with.

- Cirilo