[LinuxPPS] no_hz and pps?

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 27 10:04:51 CET 2008

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2008 11:07:45 Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Found this discussion:
>>
>> So no_hz does take ntp into account?
>> What goes wrong so that the performance is worse?
>> (is it actually still worse in current kernels with no_hz?)
>
> I rebuild my kernel with NO_HZ a few days ago as a test.  I did not
(...)
> I did these tests with kernel version 2.6.26.  Of course this is only one test
> but I think it indicates that NO_HZ should not be used with a refclock at
> least on my machine with this version of the kernel and I have disabled it.

I am currently testing NO_HZ with 2.6.28, the latest and greatest kernel.
My GPS reception isn't that good but I just want to know if I notice any
difference on this loaded EK8000.
I just booted into 2.6.28 yesterday so maybe later this next week we can
see a diference or trend?

> On the plus side for NO_HZ my CPUs are running cooler by 2C to 3C when idle
> which indicates that NO_HZ is doing what it is supposed to and my machine was
> using less power.

Also Slightly more CPU is available for real CPU.

Next year I'll get a slightly faster VIA Epia LT board (1GHz C7 versus
800 Mhz C3-2). Would that cause noticable difference?

Udo