[LinuxPPS] PPS signal quit working.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Dec 31 20:52:09 CET 2008

> The PPS signal just quits working after a few minutes.  I have debugging on.  What does all this stuff in dmesg mean?
>
> [STDev] PPS assert at 4294965392 on source #0
> PPS event on source 0 at 1230590530.202672045
> capture clear seq #110 for source 0
> [STDev] PPS clear at 4294965587 on source #0
> PPS event on source 0 at 1230590531.2688258
> capture assert seq #111 for source 0
> [STDev] PPS assert at 4294966371 on source #0
> PPS event on source 0 at 1230590531.202692062
> capture clear seq #111 for source 0
> [STDev] PPS clear at 4294966567 on source #0
> PPS_GETCAP: source 0
> PPS_GETPARAMS: source 0
> PPS_SETPARAMS: source 0
> PPS_FETCH: source 0
> timeout 3.000000000
> PPS_FETCH: source 0
> timeout 3.000000000
> pending signal caught

Well, I dont know if its related, but Ive had a similar problem.
On my 'main' machine, the PPS just stopped.  On two other macines its just
fine.
After playing with it for a while I ASSUMED it jut had to be hardware, and
bought a
4port tty card, and connected to it rather than the tty port on the
motherboard.
This worked for a couple of weeks, and then it stopped.
I played with it, it started working, but then stopped within a week.
I do know that I have signal as far as the end of the cable where it connects
to the
computer, and I do know that if I replace the PPS source with a 2nd source it
still
doesnt work, but I havent got any further than than (other projects,- and NTP
working
thru the other machines).

This is 2.6.27.5.

So, I dont have a clue as to what the problem is (havent tried other kernels,
etc., but
if you find anything, Id like to hear about it.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com