[LinuxPPS] Patches for kernel 2.6.26-rc8

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed Jul 2 21:16:34 CEST 2008

I grabed a copy of kernel 2.6.26-rc8 and applied the latest patch to it.  It
patched cleanly and built without any issues.  After getting the latest
version of the user land tools built I have started testing.

Running

ppsldisc /dev/ttyS1

creates the pps device

tree /sys/class/pps
/sys/class/pps
`-- pps0
    |-- assert
    |-- clear
    |-- dev
    |-- echo
    |-- mode
    |-- name
    |-- path
    |-- power
    |   `-- wakeup
    |-- subsystem -> ../../pps
    `-- uevent

and my udev rules are working since I end up with

/dev/oncore.tty.0
/dev/oncore.pps.0

So at that point it looks like it should work.  My GPS is running and it
putting out PPS pulses (I have an LED on the PPS line) but when I test it I
get:

# ppstest /dev/pps0
trying PPS source "/dev/pps0"
found PPS source "/dev/pps0"
ok, found 1 source(s), now start fetching data...
time_pps_fetch() error -1 (Connection timed out)
time_pps_fetch() error -1 (Connection timed out)

So it is clear that I am not seeing the PPS pulses for some reason.  What else
do I need to do to get this working?

Also when I call ppsldisc in my udev rules it appears to fail and I have to
run it by hand to get the pps device setup.  What needs to be done to get this
to work as part of the udev rules so that the device is created at boot time?

My current udev rules look like this:

KERNEL=="ttyS1", RUN+="/bin/ppsldisc /dev/%k", SYMLINK+="oncore.serial.0"

KERNEL=="pps0", OWNER="root", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660",
SYMLINK+="oncore.pps.0", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

Hal