[LinuxPPS] Patches for kernel 2.6.26-rc8

Cirilo Bernardo cirilo.bernardo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 02:11:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Hal V. Engel <hvengel at astound.net> wrote:
[snip]
> Also when I call ppsldisc in my udev rules it appears to fail and I have to
> run it by hand to get the pps device setup. What needs to be done to get
> this to work as part of the udev rules so that the device is created at boot
> time?

Isn't the /dev/ppsN device only created when the N_PPS ldisc is set?
In which case there is no point in invoking ppsldisc when the device
is created.

I think the most convenient thing to do to overcome the various
problems, including the problems brought up by Reg, is to set up the
boot scripts to create the /dev/ppsN device nodes which will be used
on the system.  For those running Debian GNU/Linux, this can be done
by modifying the /etc/udev/links.conf file.  If the device nodes are
created statically then the only remaining issue is when to call the
IOCTL to set N_PPS.  The udev rules may also need to be modified so
that the device nodes are not removed when the device driver is
unloaded.

- Cirilo