[LinuxPPS] Patches for kernel 2.6.26-rc8

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Fri Jul 4 20:05:21 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 10:02:39AM -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:
>    On Friday 04 July 2008 05:34:10 am Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
>    > I need help on this topic.
>
>    The issue for me and I suspect most on the list is that in order to help
>    with documentation first we need to understand what is going on. Right now
>    this is changing so fast that I am having trouble understanding the
>    current state of things. Mind you I am a developer with a degree in
>    computer science and several decades of IT experience and have my own
>    widely distributed open source project that I maintain (unrelated to ntp
>    or time stuff). So I am probably better able to follow this than the
>    non-developers on this list and I am still confused.

I agree, but currently I can explain how LinuxPPS works only on this
list due poor time to dedicate of. I hope someone can collect all
these info and propose a patch for the wiki (I cannot provide a
password to self modify the wiki since it holds some protected pages).

>    > That's strange... if you take a look at drivers/pps/Kconfig you can
>    > see that "config PPS" is defined as tristate.
>
>    Yes I can see that. So I don't know why xconfig will not let me set this
>    to be built into the kernel.

Did you try "make menuconfig"?

>    > http://ml.enneenne.com/pipermail/linuxpps/2008-June/002020.html
>
>    I applied this patch and I am using these tools (ppsldisc) but this does
>    not work with out running setserial.
>
>    > http://ml.enneenne.com/pipermail/linuxpps/2008-June/002021.html
>
>    OK I missed this one. Does this need to be applied on top of
>    ntp-pps-2.6.26-rc8.diff? Will this make setserial obsolete?
>
>    Since it was not clear what sequence of patches where needed I think this
>    is why I was confused. So the correct sequence is to apply patches in this
>    order (assumes kernel 2.6.26-rc8 as a base):
>
>    ntp-pps-2.6.26-rc8.diff
>    set-ldisc.patch
>    ppsldisc.patch
>
>    Is that correct? If so I will apply set-ldisc.patch and retest things.

Correct.

I can't test the code since I have no hardware to test at all! :'(

After some positive feedbacks I'll add the patches on top of the GIT
repository providing a new complete LinuxPPS patch.

Thanks for your help,

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti