[LinuxPPS] Patches for kernel 2.6.26-rc8

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Fri Jul 4 20:55:38 CEST 2008

On Friday 04 July 2008 11:05:21 am Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 10:02:39AM -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:
snip

> >    Since it was not clear what sequence of patches where needed I think
> > this is why I was confused. So the correct sequence is to apply patches
> > in this order (assumes kernel 2.6.26-rc8 as a base):
> >
> >    ntp-pps-2.6.26-rc8.diff
> >    set-ldisc.patch
> >    ppsldisc.patch
> >
> >    Is that correct? If so I will apply set-ldisc.patch and retest things.
>
> Correct.

OK I am in the process of building this now.  Will let you know how testing
goes.

> I can't test the code since I have no hardware to test at all! :'(

Are you missing a reference clock?  If so perhaps some of the list members can
get together the needed hardware for you.  The users of my open source project
have made donations that have allowed me to get specialized hardware (color
meters and spectrophotometers) for testing some of which is way more expensive
than any of these reference clocks except for an actaul atomic clock.

There are several different GPS reference clocks that can be put together for
a modest cost with a little effort (Garmin GPS 18 LCV and Motorola OnCore come
to mind).  For example, I have a ttl to rs-232 interface board laying around
that I could donate and if someone were to donate an OnCore I could put
together a wiring harness and mount the OnCore and the rs-232 interface on a
board and use a USB connection for power.  I could ship it to you tested and
ready to go.  It wouldn't be pretty but it would work.

It would make it easier for everyone, including you, if you were able to test
things.