[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS for kernel 2.6.26

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Tue Jul 15 12:55:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:32:56PM +0200, Remco den Besten wrote:
> Ciao Rodolfo,
>
> >>looking at your messages it seems to me that the flaying patches can
> >>be merged into main tree, is that right? Can I published a new patch
> >>against new 2.6.26? :)
>
> That would be great, but is the '&' issue to be solved? Why do I have to
> fork ttyctrl or
> ppsldisc into the 'background' here? Perhaps it would be

Because you need someone keeping the serial port open(), since after
(last) closing the line discipline turns automagically to N_TTY.

>  an idea that 'ttySx'-activation can be selected within the PPS driver menu.
> Then an additional tool like ppsldisc or ttyctrl will be unnecessary?.

This is not possible.

> Perhaps also the
>  low_latency can be set automagically when selecting PPS for a ttySx  port.

This could be done I suppose, but is not an issue now.

> Something like this:
>
> (x) PPS support
>    (x) ttyS0
>    (x) ttyS1
> (m) low level IRQ stamping
>
> would be very convenient :-)

What about if you have different serial port? ttyS3, ttyM0,
tty<whateveryouwish>? We cannot change the configuration menu at
runtime!

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti