[LinuxPPS] 2.6.26...

Cirilo Bernardo cirilo.bernardo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 09:57:26 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OK, so I want to build 2.6.26 with the latest LinuxPPS support and after
> that ntpd with STA_NANO support or wahtever you name it.
> I have seen various bits of info floating past here.
> What are the caveats etc, different things from the previous ways of
> getting things to work?
>
> Please let me know here so I can send Rodolofo a diff for the wiki.
>
> Udo

One thing I can think of:  although the kernel may use a
high-resolution timer (ns resolution), don't be surprised if you don't
get a great increase in the precision of the clock.  Interrupt service
latencies will still affect the 'granularity' of the timer; this is a
problem which cannot be solved except with dedicated hardware with its
own low-drift timer/counter.

- Cirilo