[LinuxPPS] New LinuxPPS release

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sat Jul 26 03:09:42 CEST 2008

On Friday 25 July 2008 07:49:35 am Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> >> I just published the latest LinuxPPS version against kernel
> >> 2.6.26. Please, test and report.
> >
> > Just built the kernel and necessary stuff.
>
> Just booted into 2.6.26.
>
> > Will do a fresh ntpd and reboot tomorrow.
>
> Took a bit longer, but I did build ntpd using refclock_nmea_ldisc2.patch
> which I posted earlier. Build was OK.
>
> Did a reboot, ppsldisc thingie (not more needed?) and started ntpd.
> Had some reception trouble but later all was OK.
>
> I did not succeed in building a *nano* ntpd. Copying linux/timex.h
> doesn't give me a compilable timex.h according to the ntp configure.
> What's the fix?
>
> Kind regards,
> Udo

Udo,

I had problems getting ntp to build with nano support.  The issue is to get
things setup so that the build is picking up the right header files.
Specifically it needs to have a timex.h that has STA_NANO and friends defined.
What I found in my case was that the ntp build was picking up timex.h in a
very distro specific location.  You can find out where the build is finding it
by doing:

# make | grep timex.h

when building ntpd and you will see where it is finding it.  What I did was I
added the needed declarations to the timex.h I located using the above
command.  Probably not the best solution.  At that point ntpd build with nano
support enabled.

I am in the process of building a pps patched 2.6.26 that is a packaged kernel
from my distro.  I suspect that a 2.6.26 kernel package for my distro will put
the correct timex.h in the standard location and that this will no longer be
an issue since I would expect it to installed the correct header files for
this version of the kernel.  But I have not tested this yet.  If it does not
then I will open a bug with my distro (gentoo).  For gentoo users the linuxpps
patch applied cleanly to gentoo-sources-2.6.26.

I am currently running vanilla 2.6.26-rc8 and the related patches along with a
recent development snapshot of ntp.

Hal