[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS with 'nano' support cookbook recipe

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 26 12:52:18 CEST 2008

More details below...

Remco den Besten wrote:
> 1. Apply everything necessary to implement microsupport (LinuxPPS), see this
> list ;-)

http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/LinuxPPS_support#The_userland_tools

giometti at zaigor:/usr/include# mv linux linux.old
giometti at zaigor:/usr/include# mv asm asm.old
giometti at zaigor:/usr/include# mv asm-generic asm-generic.old
giometti at zaigor:/usr/include# ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build/include/linux .
giometti at zaigor:/usr/include# ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build/include/asm .
giometti at zaigor:/usr/include# ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build/include/asm-generic .

then we need to add the file timepps.h under the directory /usr/include,
you can do it by using the command:

giometti at zaigor:/usr/include# ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/build/Documentation/pps/timepps.h .

You can find the userland tools into linux/kernel/Documentation/pps/
directory, you can compile them with the command:

giometti at zaigor:~/linux/kernel/Documentation/pps$ make

(this creates ppsldisc)

> 2. Apply the patch from James to /usr/include/sys/timex.h
> 3. Create the symlink: ln -s /usr/include/sys/timex.h /usr/include/timex.h

- apply optinal patches for ntpd (depending on GPS device)

> 4. re-../configure ntp (' ../configure <insert options> ') and make the ntp
> sources ('make')
> 5. in ntp-source tree go to ntpd directory and strip ntpd (' strip ntpd ' )
> 6. stop currently running ntpd

start `ppsldisc /dev/ttyS0 &`
do `ls -l /dev/*ps*`, see /dev/pps0 appear