[LinuxPPS] Newbi questions. Testing without hardware and configure and build NTP with OnCore support?

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Jun 3 05:38:14 CEST 2008

I currently have a version of the kernel running that has been patched with
the most recent LinuxPPS patch and the low level IRQ patch set.  I used
gentoo-sources 2.6.25-r4 as my base kernel.  The base Linux PPS patch went on
cleanly but I did have to increase the fuzz to 20 to get one of the low level
IRQ patches to go.  It builds cleanly and so far it is running without any
issues.

I patched setserial and it appears to be working.

I don't have my PPS device yet (it should arrive in a few days and I will need
to build a serial interface for it - Motorola OnCore UT+ from ebay) so I can't
say for sure that any of this is actually working.   But I have gotten far
enough along that I think my kernel setup will work (with perhaps some
tweaking) once the GPS PPS signal is available.

localhost # setserial /dev/ttyS1 low_latency hardpps
localhost # tree /sys/class/pps
/sys/class/pps
`-- pps0
    |-- assert
    |-- clear
    |-- dev
    |-- device -> ../../../devices/pnp0/00:0c
    |-- echo
    |-- mode
    |-- name
    |-- path
    |-- power
    |   `-- wakeup
    |-- subsystem -> ../../pps
    `-- uevent

I did build ktimer as a module and I have the kernel setup to output PPS
debuging data.  When I load ktimer I do see the PSS assert messages in dmesg:

source ktimer got cdev (254:1)
new PPS source ktimer at ID 1
ktimer PPS source registered at 1
PPS event at 4306730085
PPS event on source 1 at 1212463272.668278872
capture assert seq #1 for source 1
PPS event at 4306730385
PPS event on source 1 at 1212463273.668278261
capture assert seq #2 for source 1
PPS event at 4306730685
PPS event on source 1 at 1212463274.668279045

I think this is about as far as I can get with the kernel until I have a
physical PPS source.  But perhaps some one here can suggest some tests for
this before the GPS is available.

At this point I am trying to figure out how to build ntp so that it supports
the OnCore.  I think that ntp needs to have the parse-clocks use flag set (it
is off by default) to build with PPS support but that does not appear to be
enough since it refuses to configure for an ONCORE with this use flag.  I have
tried building it by hand and even with --enable-ONCORE it will not build the
oncore driver.   I get the following during configuration:

checking for ONCORE Motorola VP/UT Oncore GPS... no

I used the following configure command:

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-ONCORE --enable-SHM --enable-ipv6

Maybe the device needs to be plugged in?   I have added the oncore stuff to
/etc/ntp.conf, also setup a /etc/ntp.oncore.0 file and created the oncore.pps0
and oncore.serial.0 symlinks in /dev as well as the symlinks in /usr/include
and /usr/include/sys for timepps.h.  But configure does not find timepps.h.
This with ntp version 4.2.4p4.

I know that this is developement code but shouldn't these builds look in
/usr/src/linux/include/... for kernel header files if they need special
versions of these?  Why all of the symlinks for the header files when my
kernel source tree is in the standard location with the standard symlinks. It
should be easy for the build to find what it needs without all those symlinks.
The same thing is true for the LinuxPPS user land tools which are already
sitting in the kernel tree.

Sorry for the long email note and for venting.

Hal