[LinuxPPS] Trouble shooting OnCore issues.

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sat Jun 7 03:00:43 CEST 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 03:43:51 pm Remco den Besten wrote:
> Hello Hal,
>
> You passed your 'get your Oncore to work with LinuxPPS'-exam.
> Please do a site survey (I did it with WinOncore) to enter your exact
> location and heigth.
I will when I get a better antenna. I am currently using a cheap little mag
mount that is sitting on the window sill.  It is about the size of a match
book.  It seems to only have enough gain to allow the OnCore to pick up
satellites that are almost over head (60 degree elevation or higher) but it is
in a position that is far from optimal which clearly makes things worse. There
are significant periods when it will not lock onto any satellites.  At first I
didn't know what was going on when this happened since the only indication
that it had lost lock is that the reach on the OnCore started getting lower
but there was no indication why.  Is there someway to get some type of logging
for this type of thing?
In any case I don't think it makes sense to do a site survey right now since I
should have a “new”antenna in a few days and I should have it installed
shortly after that.   I used a hand held WASS GPS to take a reading for the
position of the current antenna and this is what I am using for my position in
the configuration file.
I picked up a Larsen GPS0015 antenna from ebay for $14 plus shipping that is
“Guaranteed to be in working condition”.  I looked around the net and the
cheapest I found a new one of these for was $179 and most places wanted over
$200.   If this one is working correctly then it will be a real good deal I
think.  I am going to get a mount to go on the roof which should result in
much better reception since up there the view to the far horizon covers about
270 degrees and the other areas have trees that will block about 20 to 25
degrees of elevation at the most.   This should allow the OnCore to track more
satellites more of the time.