[LinuxPPS] Not seeing PPS with new stuff (MORE)

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Jun 11 21:36:31 CEST 2008

OK, your fix to ttyctrl.c allows it to compile on my system, but Im
not happy.  Without the -X parameter there is no /dev/pps1 (I assume that
it appears and goes away), but with it this process is unkillable.  It just
hangs there and you can't kill it even when you don't need the /dev/pps{n}
file any longer.  Same thing with ntpd, to try a new version I have to reboot,
the new version hangs somewhere on startup.

Second.
The ONCORE driver in ntpd 'stat's fd2, which is the /dev/pps1 created
above, and gets the message that it can't stat the device, viz

    54628 68085.175 127.127.30.0 Can't stat fd2 (/dev/oncore.pps.0) errno = 2

The ONCORE driver (and perhaps others that copied code from it) does a
stat to see if the pps device exists.  Its being told that it doesnt.  If this
is not just a problem with the current implementaion, then we are back
to having to change ntpd for linuxPPS.  I hope not.

If I comment out the stat on fd2, I then get an error on fd1, the serial
device,
viz

    54628 70104.575 127.127.30.0 Can't open fd1 (/dev/oncore.serial.0)

which is the next thing that the code tries, since it has to get the binary
data on this device.

So, Im confused, and I guess I dont understand this change you are trying
to install.

What should I try next?

--
                                        Reg.Clemens