[LinuxPPS] Not seeing PPS with new stuff (MORE)

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Wed Jun 11 22:17:55 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 01:36:31PM -0600, clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> OK, your fix to ttyctrl.c allows it to compile on my system, but Im
> not happy.  Without the -X parameter there is no /dev/pps1 (I assume that
> it appears and goes away), but with it this process is unkillable.  It just
> hangs there and you can't kill it even when you don't need the /dev/pps{n}
> file any longer.  Same thing with ntpd, to try a new version I have to reboot,
> the new version hangs somewhere on startup.

Strange behaviour... the proces should be killable... can you please
run ttyctrl with strace?

   strace ttyctrl <params>

> Second.
> The ONCORE driver in ntpd 'stat's fd2, which is the /dev/pps1 created
> above, and gets the message that it can't stat the device, viz
>
>     54628 68085.175 127.127.30.0 Can't stat fd2 (/dev/oncore.pps.0) errno = 2
>
> The ONCORE driver (and perhaps others that copied code from it) does a
> stat to see if the pps device exists.  Its being told that it doesnt.  If this
> is not just a problem with the current implementaion, then we are back
> to having to change ntpd for linuxPPS.  I hope not.

Mmm... it sound strange to me... are you sure that everything is ok
into your system?  Maybe udev is blocked somewhere and doesn't create
the /dev/pps{n} devices.

> If I comment out the stat on fd2, I then get an error on fd1, the serial
> device,
> viz
>
>     54628 70104.575 127.127.30.0 Can't open fd1 (/dev/oncore.serial.0)
>
> which is the next thing that the code tries, since it has to get the binary
> data on this device.
>
> So, Im confused, and I guess I dont understand this change you are trying
> to install.
>
> What should I try next?

Try to enable PSS after disabling udev. I think something is going
wrong into the system since after switching the ldisc you should have
the corresponding /dev/pps{n} entry.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:	+39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:     rodolfo.giometti