[LinuxPPS] Found it, problem with current PPS code.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Sat Jun 14 01:25:16 CEST 2008

> About /dev/ttyS0 appearing not to be a tty, that will not work.
> Although it's been over 7 months since I've looked at the ntp code, I
> remember being frustrated that the device MUST be a tty because of
> that tc{get,set}attr().  I can also remember that I couldn't just hack
> it out because it did serve some purpose.

Well, the code in ntp_refclock.c (where refclock_open resides) is MUCH
cleaner than it was a couple of years ago.  Dave Mills has made a pass over
that code and really cleaned out a lot of the scruff.  So something for the
line discipline could be added if necessary.

But I dont have a clue as to what line discipline is there (there must be a
system call to tell you/ better yet a user callable program) or how to tell
it the line speed and options (raw?) necessary.  It would seem better that
the device REMAIN a TTY so we all know whats going on.
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com