[LinuxPPS] More on problem with the PPS Device.

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Mon Jun 30 19:52:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 07:32:04PM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> >> 2, if possible.
> >>
> > I commented on this in a previous note.
> > time_pps_create is called with the FILE DESCRIPTOR of the PPS device.
> > It knows nothing about the serial device.

The first call is made with the serial device's fd.

> > So, one cant set ldisc there since one doesnt have the file descriptor of the
> > serial device.
> > AND, if one hasnt done the set ldisc, there is no file, so there cant be any
> > file descriptor to call time_pps_create with.
> > end of (2).

That's why I prefere 1.

In the past you used setserial to enable PPS support for serial port,
why now you cannot use ppsldisc to select the ldisc?

Again, using 1 you can use udev (and it's fantastic help :) as __all__
linux devices do.

> So let's summarize this so we can confront the ntp bugzilla readers with
> this?

Maybe you can ask for advice to them? :)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti