[LinuxPPS] setting an offset

James Boddington boddingt at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 27 01:54:55 CET 2008

Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
> If I read the code right, the static offset is something local to ntpd.
> refclock_atom.c about line 409: "SAMPLE(dtemp + pp->fudgetime1);"
>
> Means ntpd adds some value to the pps-readout.
>
> The interrupt (DCD-signal) is only shifted if the hardware of a pps-source
> is (can be) configured properly.
>
> Nice test if fudge1 accepts ns (for cable delay compensation).
> Hopefully (>50) µs for real shifting.

I tried fudge 127.127.20.0 time 0.0000005 and the offset for that reference
changed by 500ns (+/- jitter). Was watching peerstats.

> I didn't test it.
>
> IMHO there is no need for linuxpps to have an offset inside.

The pps rfc says PPS_OFFSETASSERT and PPS_OFFSETCLEAR are optional but were
still implemented.

What about when it is something other than ntp that is using the time stamp?
While I have the kernel using the time stamp directly this is of interest to me.

--
    James