[LinuxPPS] A good NTP configuration for Linux

Thorsten M. thenktor at gmx.de
Fri Oct 17 10:10:35 CEST 2008

Hi
I've read many postings in the LinuxPPS mailing list archive but now I
have some questions. I want to build a high precision NTP server using
Linux (Slackware/Zenwalk).
What I have done so far:
- I'm using the 2.6.27 kernel which should be a nano kernel and I have
  compiled a glibc with the necessary patches (found through the gentoo
  bug tracker).
- I've compiled a new ntpd against the new glibc. Now I have nano
  support in ntpd: status 0x2001 (PLL,NANO),

Do you think this was a good decision?

Next questions:
- Currently I'm using 1000 Hz in the kernel but I've read that 100 Hz
  is better for ntpd? Is this correct and what's the reason for this?
- I couldn't find any info about "tickless kernel". Enable or disable
  it?
- I couldn't find info about "preemptible kernel". Enable or disable it?

I would be glad to get these questions answered and more hints are
welcome.

Thanks in advance and greetings
Thorsten