[LinuxPPS] A good NTP configuration for Linux

Cirilo Bernardo cirilo.bernardo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:22:34 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Thorsten M. <thenktor at gmx.de> wrote:
[snip]
> Next questions:
> - Currently I'm using 1000 Hz in the kernel but I've read that 100 Hz
>  is better for ntpd? Is this correct and what's the reason for this?
> - I couldn't find any info about "tickless kernel". Enable or disable
>  it?
> - I couldn't find info about "preemptible kernel". Enable or disable it?
>
> I would be glad to get these questions answered and more hints are
> welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance and greetings
> Thorsten

There has been some discussion lately that some kernel parameter is
not updated when you select anything other than HZ=100 and that this
affects the stability of NTPD. (Although I don't know the details.)

You need to test a "tickless" kernel; guessing from other discussions
on CONFIG_HZ in the past, you may find the tickless kernel completely
screws up NTPD - but you do need to test this.

A preemptible kernel is good.

- Cirilo