[LinuxPPS] still some offset and jitter though using pps

Nicola Berndt nb at komeda-berlin.de
Mon Oct 20 10:59:21 CEST 2008

Nicola Berndt schrieb:

> Btw, things have settled down now (after half a day) to an offset of
> 0.970 and a jitter of 0.017.

So I monitored things over the weekend and found it to behave nicely,
values for offset and drift were always somewhere in the 0.0xy range. So
once it has settled down my hard-/software combination can actually do a
good ntp-job.

Still the startup problem resides: Just now I changed my timepulse from
100 to 200 ms but still after starting up, the offset grows way over 200
and takes very long to find its way back. This happens with and without
driftfile. The driftfile also has a noticeably high value of almost 400
and is being rewritten with similar high values after its deletion.

My kernel is a preembile kernel, timer_frequency is configured to 100 hz
and I don't have a tickless system nor high resolution timer support
enabled. I also tried the different available clocksources on the kernel
command line but that didn't help. Strangely clocksource acpi_pm is not
available under
/sys/devices/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource , only tsc,
pit and jiffies.

So for now that is as much information as I can give.
What really puzzles me, ist that the system can obviously keep a stable
and precise time. How comes, it drifts off so badly right after startig
up and needs so long to come back? Could anyone please explain that to me?

Best regards,
./nico berndt