[LinuxPPS] New LinuxPPS user intro

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Thu Sep 18 10:48:14 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:20:17AM -0700, Luca Bertagnolio wrote:

> if that is the case, then I suppose I could try an earlier kernel, like 2.6.24 o 25 using the quinquies patch (ahhh those italian kids who studied latin in high school! :-) ).

Nak, just use the _latest_ LinuxPPS version.

> What are the differences between PPS API 5.3.0, 5.3.1 and 5.3.2?  Why would I want to have the latest minor release, other than to have patches suitable for a specific version of the kernel?

LinuxPPS has been changed several times during its life due several
problems regarding its internal API. Testing older versions may
generate problems not related with PPS issues.

> One last thing, I noticed that ppstest fails if tried after stopping ntpd:
>
> tix ~ # ppstest /dev/pps0
> trying PPS source "/dev/pps0"
> found PPS source "/dev/pps0"
> ok, found 1 source(s), now start fetching data...
> time_pps_fetch() error -1 (Connection timed out)
> time_pps_fetch() error -1 (Connection timed out)
>
> If I use ppstest after a fresh reboot, no problem.  Not so after stopping ntpd... worth investigating more maybe?

Can you please enable DEBUGing messages?

> Also, can you please confirm that setserial is no longer needed after the line discipline changes of a couple of months ago?

Confirmed. Now you need ppsldisc.

Rodolfo (who __never__ studied latin into his life :)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti