[LinuxPPS] New LinuxPPS user intro

Luca Bertagnolio lucaberta at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 19:11:20 CEST 2008

Hal, thanks for the update on glibc.  Looking forward to see an updated
ebuild from you so I can emerge glibc-2.7 and make sure there are no
issues when running ntpd.

I have also put together a slightly modified ebuild to include the PPS patch
to driver 20, and am planning on checking it also on the latest ntp build.  I
did a first quick look check and there are few slight differences, but overall
the patch won't be too different.

Overlay portage is just such a cool thing!  :-)

Thanks for the tip on the modified ntpd startup script, I should do what you say.
Have a question though.  You say:

> This keeps ppsldisc running long enough for ntp to startup and then kills it.
> I think 30 seconds may be way longer than it needs.

so ppsldisc does not need to be running when ntpd hooks into the PPS device,
is that what I gather out of your statement?

> And building glibc takes way longer than the kernel.
oh yes!  Clearly if I will need to rebuild glibc I will temporarily remove the HD, and
maybe also try to build one of the newer .27 kernel, we'll see...

Ciao, Luca