[LinuxPPS] New LinuxPPS user intro

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Sep 18 20:10:32 CEST 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 10:11:20 am Luca Bertagnolio wrote:
> Hal, thanks for the update on glibc.  Looking forward to see an updated
> ebuild from you so I can emerge glibc-2.7 and make sure there are no
> issues when running ntpd.

I am emerging it right now (this takes about 20 minutes on a very fast
machine).  I still have some things to sort out in the patch but I expect to
have the new ebuilds and patch for glibc-2.7 and glibc-2.8 posted later today
in gentoo bugzilla.

> I have also put together a slightly modified ebuild to include the PPS
> patch to driver 20, and am planning on checking it also on the latest ntp
> build.  I did a first quick look check and there are few slight
> differences, but overall the patch won't be too different.
>
> Overlay portage is just such a cool thing!  :-)
>
> Thanks for the tip on the modified ntpd startup script, I should do what
> you say.
>
> Have a question though.  You say:
> > This keeps ppsldisc running long enough for ntp to startup and then kills
> > it. I think 30 seconds may be way longer than it needs.
>
> so ppsldisc does not need to be running when ntpd hooks into the PPS
> device, is that what I gather out of your statement?

No it needs to be running when the driver tries to find the PPS signal but
once that happens ppsldisc can and should go away.

Hal