[LinuxPPS] ppstest, timepps.h and the like

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed Dec 16 18:27:43 CET 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 05:07:55 pm Don Weeks wrote:
> Where are these located? I've not found them in the git archive (unless I
> missed something).

In the kernel source tree located in

Documentation/pps

> Another question, I created a new source using the ktimer as an example but
> using a GPIO pin as the source. My PPS signal is directed to it via a clock
> line on the board.

I don't understand this.  The ktimer source is a fake pps to be used for
testing only and then it is used only if you don't have a real refclock.

> What is happening is that when my driver is loaded, my
> system rather quickly becomes unusable. Per the docs, the Ktimer is a good
> example to follow and it did seem that way in that I simply removed the
> timing code and instead drove it through the IRQ. Based on my reading
> however, I am wondering if I should also be getting a "CLEAR" and recording
> that?

The ktimer pps does NOT have clear events.   It only has assert events.  Only
real hardware has clear events.