[LinuxPPS] task force

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Feb 2 19:13:59 CET 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 08:23:30 am Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> > For userland I had to do this:
> >
> > cd /usr/include
> > mv linux linux.old
> > mv asm asm.old
> > mv asm-generic asm-generic.old
> > ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/linux linux
> > ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/arch/x86/include/asm asm
> > ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/asm-generic asm-generic
> > cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Documentation/pps/timepps.h timepps.h

Shouldn't the kernel header files for the kernel you are patching and
installing be installed in the normal way rather than using these links?  I
have found that using the links to the linux, asm-generic and asm directories
is only needed if the installed version of the kernel header files in not
current with the kernel you are patching/installing.  I have also found that
using the links to these directories on a source based distro like gentoo
causes significant issues.  If you have the correct headers for the unpatched
kernel installed then all you need to do is:

cd /usr/include/linux
ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/linux/pps.h pps.h

(or
cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/linux/pps.h pps.h
)

cd /usr/include
ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Documentation/pps/timepps.h timepps.h

(or
cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Documentation/pps/timepps.h timepps.h
)

In other words if you have the correct version of the kernel header files
installed you only need links to or copies of the two missing pps specific
header files.  I have been using this on my own machine now for some time and
I also used this on another machine which I helped setup and it works nicely
on both machines.

Is pps.h no longer needed with the newer patches?