[LinuxPPS] task force

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 2 19:26:24 CET 2009

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2009 08:23:30 am Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>>> For userland I had to do this:
>>>
>>> cd /usr/include
>>> mv linux linux.old
>>> mv asm asm.old
>>> mv asm-generic asm-generic.old
>>> ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/linux linux
>>> ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/arch/x86/include/asm asm
>>> ln -s /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/asm-generic asm-generic
>>> cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Documentation/pps/timepps.h timepps.h
>
> Shouldn't the kernel header files for the kernel you are patching and
> installing be installed in the normal way rather than using these links?

Could be that the headers in the kernel are different from the ones in
/usr/include/* ?
I am on Fedora and found that at least for serial.h there are
differences. See my other post about that.
I am no expert in this area but do know that the kernel and other header
files are different.
Anyone more knowledgeable may of course explain how the LinuxPPS
situation is and how stuff should change to a more normalised situation.

> have found that using the links to the linux, asm-generic and asm directories
> is only needed if the installed version of the kernel header files in not
> current with the kernel you are patching/installing.

Mine are only a tiny bit behind.
Kernel is 2.6.28.2. And we have kernel-headers-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i386

(....)
> In other words if you have the correct version of the kernel header files
> installed you only need links to or copies of the two missing pps specific
> header files.  I have been using this on my own machine now for some time and
> I also used this on another machine which I helped setup and it works nicely
> on both machines.

Can anybody explain what should and shouldn't work on a recent and up to
date distro?

Kind regards,
Udo