[LinuxPPS] OncorePlot

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Jan 6 04:15:00 CET 2009

About a month ago ago I was digging around in the Oncore related stuff on the
web and found that Reg had written a little demo program that uses the SHMEM
features of the oncore driver that displays some useful GPS satellite info
(sort of like the satillite view in winoncore12).  The link on the ntp website
to this code was broken but I was able to find source code on-line.  I was
eventually able to get this to build but it had some issues so I contacted
Reg.   It turns out that none of the versions available on-line were very
recent so I was using old code.  Reg posted the newer code where I could
download it and this new code also had some issues.  Reg made some changes and
I made some more changes and supplied a patch to Reg.  It is working OK for me
now.  For those interested Reg has the code posted here:

http://pages.swcp.com/~reg/

The above web page also has the libsx source RPM that is used for the UI which
is also hard to find.  This RPM has a number of patches included that need to
be applied.  I also had to tweak the make files to get this to build correctly
on my machine.

Also the OncorePlot version on the web does not have my last patch which I
have attached to this email.  This patch adds code to parse the oncore
configuration file(s) to locate the SHMEM file (instead of passing this in as
a command line parm) and also places file(s) created by this utility in
~/.OncorePlot.  If this patch is used and you only have one oncore
(/etc/ntp.oncore or /etc/ntp.oncore.0 or /etc/ntp.oncore0 or
/etc/ntp/ntp.oncore ...) the sat_path2 utility will just work and no command
line arguments are needed.  If you have more than one Oncore you need to pass
the unit number on the command line (IE. $ sat_path2 <unit number> for
/etc/ntp.oncore.<unit number>) if the unit number is higher than 0.

Hal