[LinuxPPS] Refclock for Rodolpho

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Jan 6 04:12:34 CET 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 16:01:28 Remco dB wrote:
> Hal,
>
> Send me one of your UT+'s and the MCX - BNC pigtail (although is not really
> necessary, I have enough teflon coax and female BNC-cable chassis
> connectors). I have a case, RS232-iface (is very simple) and will acquire
> an antenna, and ship it to Rodolfo as a tested (and thus working) setup.
>
> I just made a system for somebody else this way.
>
> Remco

Remco,

I can do that but I am in the process of ordering some more pig tails since I
need some more anyway.   I used the last one I had on the unit my stepson has.
Send me shipping info off list - wait I just looked up your call sign so I
think I have your address assuming the on-line license data is correct, and I
will package this up and get it out to you as soon as I have the pigtails
unless you want me to not bother with the pig tail.

For those who might be interested I have been connecting the TTL PPS line
directly to the serial connector through a 100 ohm resister (IE. no level
conversion).  This has worked on both computers I have tried it on.   I also
connect the PPS signal to a hex inverter and run it through two inverter
stages to an LED so that the LED does not put any load on the GPS PPS line.
The flashing LED is nice since it makes it easy to tell if the unit is
functioning.  I also use a USB cable as my "power supply" since the USB power
spec is an exact match for the 5 volt Oncores other than being able to supply
more power than needed (IE. 4.75 v to 5.25 v and 500 mA).  Since I can get a 3
meter USB cable for <$2.00 locally this is a cheap and easy to use power
supply.  It also uses the same ground as the computer which means that there
is no possibility of creating a ground loop between the GPS and the computer.

Someone here asked earlier about getting a schematic for the thermostat that
you built for you computers quartz oscillator.   I think you missed it since
you did not respond.  I noticed that you now have a posting about this on your
web site and that this includes a schematic as well as a photo of the
installed device.  So for the person that asked have a look here
http://remco.org/ .

I have a few questions about the thermostat.

1. I see in the photo that the temp sense diodes are basically measuring the
temperature of the air near the oscillator since they are not in direct
contact with with the case of the crystal.  It seems that this would reduce
the effectiveness of the thermostat since the temperature sensor is so loosely
coupled to the item that you want to control the temperature of.   How much
impact do you think this has on the performance of the device (IE. how well it
controls the temperature of the crystal)?

2. The heating transistor seems way too big for this application since it is
much larger than the device being heated.  Would it be possible to use a
smaller transistor?

3. Do you have any data on power consumption?

Hal