[LinuxPPS] building ntpd for debian with nmea patch applied

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Sun Jan 11 18:34:28 CET 2009

The method described at:
http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/LinuxPPS_NTPD_support#Installation
doesn't work. No pps device at all listed in the ntpq -c pe output.

If you use this:
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/Documentation/pps -I /usr/include -DHAVE_PPSAPI" LDFLAGS=-lrt ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ntp --disable-all-clocks --disable-parse-clocks --enable-NMEA --enable-LOCAL-CLOCK

It *does* work. Bonus is that you do NOT need to fiddle around with
header-files as described here:
http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/LinuxPPS_installation#Header_files

Then it is just a matter of:

/usr/local/sbin/ppsldisc -d /dev/ttyS1 -v
/usr/local/ntp/bin/ntpd -g

(you might notice that the ppsldisc included in Rodolpho's doesn't
accept the parameters as seen above, for that use the patch which can be
found here: http://vanheusden.com/Linux/ppsldisc.patch.bz2 )

> Trying to build the latest version of ntpd in debian with the nmea-patch
> applied. Can't get it to work: it ignores the PPS device. lsof shows
> that ntpd does not open it. Previous version still works.
> What I did was:
> - apt-get source ntp
> - applied udo's nmea patch from http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/refclocks/nmea/nmea.patch
> - added "LDFLAGS += -lrt" to ntp-4.2.4p4+dfsg/debian/rules
> - build the package with:
> - debuild -us -uc -d
> - installed it and restarted ntpd
> I verified with strace that it doesn't even try to open /dev/pps0.
> Anyone got a hint what I'm doing wrong here?

Folkert van Heusden

--
Multitail es una herramienta flexible que permite visualizar los "log
file" y seguir la ejecución de comandos. Permite filtrar, añadir