[LinuxPPS] ldattach + Debian Lenny

Felix Joussein felix.joussein at gmx.at
Thu Jun 4 08:30:09 CEST 2009

Hello List,

after the wonderful news from William S. Brasher  2 weeks ago, that he
managed to sync down within 10 minutes, I wanted to do as well.
But, I have no more ppsldisc, as we now want to use ldattach. That's
fine with me, but there are 2 things to mention:

a: ldattach is part or the util-linux-ng package, a fact that isn't
mentioned anywhere on the wiki. If you want to follow the wiki like a
cookbook, what basically it is now, you will have to put your dish
aside, turn off the oven and go to one ore more shopping malls and
search for it - find out the right store (util-linux-ng) get it home,
build it, and then resume cooking. Maybe someone could simply make a
direct link to the download site?
Also nice would be adding a comment, that unlike the configure script
claims when you call it with ---help, the default prefix is /usr and not
/usr/local which means a mess up of distribution and non distri
binaries... very ugly.

b: once cooking is done and you want to setup the table, again ldattach
doesn't work. Searching around in google apparently there is a problem
with debian lenny and you need a special patch to make it work.

Maybe it is not such a good idea after all to remove ppsldisc so early
when ldattach is not surly working on any main distribution, which
debian doubtlessly is!

regards,

Felix