[LinuxPPS] ldattach + Debian Lenny

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 4 13:45:36 CEST 2009

Thanks for your email.

Felix Joussein wrote:
> a: ldattach is part or the util-linux-ng package, a fact that isn't
> mentioned anywhere on the wiki.

It is mentioned.

> If you want to follow the wiki like a
> cookbook, what basically it is now, you will have to put your dish
> aside, turn off the oven and go to one ore more shopping malls and
> search for it - find out the right store (util-linux-ng) get it home,
> build it, and then resume cooking. Maybe someone could simply make a
> direct link to the download site?

You mean that util-linux-ng isn't part of your distro?
Which and why?
Please provide some background so we can act on that.

> b: once cooking is done and you want to setup the table, again ldattach
> doesn't work. Searching around in google apparently there is a problem
> with debian lenny and you need a special patch to make it work.

Why would that be?
ldattach is pretty simple?
Where is the patch to be found with any explanatory background?

> Maybe it is not such a good idea after all to remove ppsldisc so early
> when ldattach is not surly working on any main distribution, which
> debian doubtlessly is!

It is working on Fedora without any patch, out of the box, from the DVD.
I am wondering why you don't have util-linux or why ldattach isn't
included with your util-linux-ng?
Please bug your distro provider. In the mean time we might have to look
into a separate ldattach download etc?

Did you contact your util-linux(-ng) maintainer?

Please let us know.

Thanks,
Udo