[LinuxPPS] NMEA Refclock in ntp-dev does not work

William S. Brasher billb958 at door.net
Sun Oct 18 11:52:27 CEST 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> On 2009-10-18 10:48, William S. Brasher wrote:

> >> Dunno about 2.4.
> >> I only know that for 2.6 we need to patch ntpd and that patch is not in
> >> ntp-dev as was the goal of the bug report.
> >
> > Linux 2.4 with the PPSkit has been around a while, is stable, and works
> > quite well with ntp-4.2.4 with out any nmea patch.  That ntp-dev-4.2.5
> > does not work suggests that the problems we are having with it and linux
> > 2.6.31 might be present even if the nmea patch were installed.
>
> Hmm. Interesting observation.
> Maybe you can give this feedback to the ntp folks as well?
>
> > I am curious, though:  where in ntp-dev would you find the "common PPSAPI
> > code" that replaces the stuff that used to be in refclock_nmea.c?
>
> As I saw from their manual page (see website) for the NMEA drievr, they
> add edge-related options etc.

I intend to file a bug report as soon as I've had a chance to build
ntp-4.2.5p234 and verify that the problem is still present.  I would also
like to find out what the "common" PPS stuff is doing, and why it doesn't
seem to work on my boxes.

The ntp code, for me, has the feel of many twisty little passages, all
alike.