[LinuxPPS] PPS on a recent kernel

Bernhard Schiffner bernhard at schiffner-limbach.de
Sun Oct 18 23:42:49 CEST 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 22:33:56 William S. Brasher wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for this explanation. It summarizes a lot.
> > (I hope I can test it soon too.)
> >
> > I have the same problem wit the gitweb of Rodolfos site. I mailed him,
> > but nothing changed until now. (But this can't be so difficult ...)
> > Do you see a chance to maintain a little git-tree with the recent patches
> > yourself, until Rodolfo can continue his work?
> > (gitweb / gitourous comes to mind)
> >
> > (I can do this myself, but my modem-connection to the internet is a real
> > limitation.)
> >
> > ???
> >
> > Bernhard
>
> I am behind a 56k baud dial up line
(+=1)

> and the linux kernel git archive is
> too big and way too active for me to keep a tree here.
Big is only once a problem. It's a one time (very big) file/download. Try to
get it somewhere with good connection (or by CD). The .git subdir is all you
need.

To keep track a modem-line is enough.

It's far better then svn. For modem users already the detection of moved files
and doing the move on your PC is outstanding. Think of a big picture moved
with svn: delete it in the first place, download as new to the new one:
horrible.
(I'am a git fan.)

> Otherwise, I don't know how one can ask the git repository to spit out a
> current PPS patch, or even if that can be done.
Try to learn it. It's worth it.

Do you have the patches you used ready to send me via PM?
(I'll try my best to make something working ...)

Bernhard