[LinuxPPS] ntp-dev-4.2.5p237-RC does sync with PPS for me

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Oct 28 17:43:20 CET 2009

Other than the ppstest (which is good) and the ntpq which shows that you are
not syncing to the PPS source (even tho it has lower jitter) Im not sure
what you are seeing dynamically.

In 2.6.31.x (and perhaps earlier) the variable

	#define SHIFT_PLL  4 has been set to 2

there was also an implication in some of the postings that with this change
you should be able to run with Hz = 1000.

When I have tried this, my ntp wandered all over the place.  It could start
with
an offset of 10ms and after a while be at 15s, all the time being the CHOSEN
device.  Mumph.

As an additional experiment, could you check what HZ you have set in your
kernel,
and set it back to 100 if it is not already there.  This will require a
mrproper
recompile of the kernel since Hz is used everywhere.

Im not too sure if this is going to solve your problem, but it caused me a lot
of grief.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com