[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS new functionalities

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Thu Feb 18 18:46:35 CET 2010

> On 2010-02-18 18:15, clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> >> Can you please comment on how well this patchset works w.r.t. opening
> >> the serial port with ppsldisc and/or ldattach and ntpd seeing pps or not?
> >>
> >> I.e.: does ldattach work well? (any issues?)
> >> If not: does ppsldisc work better? (any issues?)
> >>
> >> Please post.
> > I am using ppsldisc, and am having no problems at all on 4machines 32/64bit.
> > As such, Ive had no reason to try ldattach.
>
> In the past some people here noticed issues that pps would stop and/or
> that ldattach would not work well enough.
> ppsldisc is depreciated and ldattach is the preferred tool.
> I'd gladly use it if it would work 100%. (there was a bug that I can not
> put my finger on, ldattach just opens the serial port with the right
> line discipline and yet it differs from ppsldisc in behaviour)

One reason for my not using ldattach, is not knowing where to find it.
Im sure I could scan all of last year's postings on this list,- but have never
been
that interested.

What we REALLY need is to put both ppsldisc.c and ldattach.c in the 'tools'
directory on http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/, and then start
a new directory there called include with all of the *.h files: timepps.h,
pps.h,
and either a patches timex.h or a comment on how to patch your own.

Seems like it would require a small effort, and have a big payoff.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com