[LinuxPPS] getting the PPS source

Ben DuPont dupes at nandgate.com
Mon Mar 22 01:52:23 CET 2010

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 2010-03-21 17:25, Ben DuPont wrote:
>
>> Is the git repository still the best way to get the PPS source?  The
>> documentation states that it will download about 120 MB but it's looking
>> more like 550-600 MB and it's downloading very slowly (7KB/s).
>>
>> The hardware I have is here (Garmin 18 lvc):
>> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27594&pvID=14555
>>

> The kernel.org kernel source plus perhaps a patch from
> http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/patches/tests/ could do.
>
> Any additional patches are optional and could be tried afterwards.
>
> Udo

It looks like I have NTP talking to a PPS kernel but it doesn't seem to
be working quite right.
When I run nptq -p, the offset and jitter bounce around like crazy.
Here's what I have in ntp.conf:

server 127.127.20.0 prefer minpoll 4
fudge 127.127.20.0 flag1 1 flag3 1 flag2 0 time1 0.0

And example output from ntp -q:

jitter
*GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l   14   16  377    0.000  -27.780
12.313

I'm using ntp-4.2.2p4 with this patch:
http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/refclocks/nmea/nmea.patch

Do I need to be more patient for the clock to sync or is something not
working properly?

Ben