[LinuxPPS] getting the PPS source

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon Mar 22 03:25:56 CET 2010

> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> > On 2010-03-21 17:25, Ben DuPont wrote:
> >
> >> Is the git repository still the best way to get the PPS source?  The
> >> documentation states that it will download about 120 MB but it's looking
> >> more like 550-600 MB and it's downloading very slowly (7KB/s).
> >>
> >> The hardware I have is here (Garmin 18 lvc):
> >> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27594&pvID=14555
> >>

> > The kernel.org kernel source plus perhaps a patch from
> > http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/patches/tests/ could do.
> >
> > Any additional patches are optional and could be tried afterwards.
> >
> > Udo

> It looks like I have NTP talking to a PPS kernel but it doesn't seem to
> be working quite right.
> When I run nptq -p, the offset and jitter bounce around like crazy.
> Here's what I have in ntp.conf:
>
> server 127.127.20.0 prefer minpoll 4
> fudge 127.127.20.0 flag1 1 flag3 1 flag2 0 time1 0.0
>
> And example output from ntp -q:
>
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
> *GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l   14   16  377    0.000  -27.780
> 12.313
>
> I'm using ntp-4.2.2p4 with this patch:
> http://ftp.enneenne.com/pub/misc/linuxpps/refclocks/nmea/nmea.patch

PLEASE get a current version of ntp.
NTP is currently at 4.2.6/4.2.7 each with a patch number appended.
I would suggest the 4.2.7 series which is the development series, and slightly
ahead of the stable series.  But in either case your 4.2.2 is so old that
noone is going to be able to help you with problems.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com