[LinuxPPS] NMEA

Paul paul at lavender-fam.net
Wed May 12 14:50:14 CEST 2010

I am currently developing a new server which (hopefully) will use NMEA
and PPS. I have already started a thread about NMEA in the current NTP
code, on which I will report my findings, but this slightly different so
I've started a new thread.

I previously tried using the NMEA output from a Jupiter module - this
currently provides PPS using the Atom driver in NTP.
At the time I posted about problems using this module - they skip whole
seconds sporadically. This brought the usual assert/clear comments
(irrelevant -this a whole second problem) and using fudge to shift
seconds (great if it was consistent - but it isn't). Early versions of
this module used a different protocol and there is an NTP driver - with
warnings about this problem (Go read, but they don't make it clear how
serious it is). I'd like to see something in the Wiki warning against
using these modules to do anything other than provide a PPS signal.
For me the way forward is to grit my teeth and pay for a Garmin.