[LinuxPPS] FW: Linux PPS with Garmin 18xLVC using 2.6.35.7 linux Kernel

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Fri Oct 29 09:05:34 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:33:14PM -0700, Kent Headley wrote:
> Hi Hal, thanks for your note.
>
> The PC I'm using (Asus Eee PC) doesn't have any external serial or parallel
> ports. It is a convenient platform of opportunity to try out linuxPPS, so if
> it PPS support can't be done using USB-serial adapters, I'll have to move to
> another platform with real serial ports. Ultimately, I want to use a small
> single board computer, so this was the closest computer I have on hand.
>
> Does linuxPPS require a 8250/16550 UART?

LinuxPPS just require a real serial port with proper support for DCD
change IRQ. Currently few real serial ports support this.

> So it is NTP that needs the links names gps0 and gpspps0 - thanks for
> clarifying that.
>
> The /dev/ttyUSB0 device works fine - I can see NMEA messages (e.g. cat

They works fine for serial data but __not__ for PPS!

> /dev/ttyUSB0). Also, utilities like statserial will show that the DCD pin
> (where PPS is connected) is changing reliably. I'm not sure how statserial
> detects DCD changes (interrupts? polling?), but perhaps it's not the same
> mechanism used by linuxPPS.
>
> It seems like the USB serial device uses a usb serial driver rather than the
> core serial drivers. lsmod shows
>
>     serial_core 12121   1 8250
>     usbserial   21796   3 keyspan
>     usbcore     96374   7 keyspan, usbserial (and others)
>     pps_ldisc   1358    1
>     pps_core    5257    1 pps_ldisc
>
> I don't see any dependencies between the pps modules and any serial modules
> though.
>
> Does linuxPPS use a particular serial driver (module)?

No, it uses a ldisc.

> How does linuxPPS detect changes in the PPS source (GPIO, serial pin,
> parallel pin, etc.)?

It depends where you connect your PPS source. :)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti
Freelance ICT Italia - Consulente ICT Italia - www.consulenti-ict.it