[LinuxPPS] Attaching PPS to the Kernel

reg at dwf.com reg at dwf.com
Fri Apr 1 02:53:41 CEST 2011

OK, Sorry, I had written a slightly longer response, but somehow
lost it because I had the address line mis-typed.

Let me summarize:

I really dont know a lot about setting things up with the NMEA driver,
I only use the ONCORE driver.

And there are are comments on the list by djch-pps at whabbit.demon.co.uk
which should be useful.

But here are a few things that I noticed from your message.

First, to use PPS with anything except the ONCORE driver, you also need the
PPS driver, so add it to your configure line.

Second you will need a 'good' tty cable, not just a 3wire one.  You seem
to be beyond that point since I see ASSERT in your output, you are
seeing the PPS signals.

Until you have things running, I would use peer and server lines rather than
restrict.  [[ Mabe thats because I started before restrict lines existed ]]
But no need to cause additional problems.

As for documentation, I suspect you have found it all, there are a few things
(a WIKI) on www.ntp.org, but the MAIN documentation for NTP is in the html
subdirectory of the source distribution.

And for what its worth, here is a copy of my /etc/ntp/ntp.conf (I startup
ntp with the line 'ntpd -g -c /etc/ntp/ntp.conf' to it to look in /etc/ntp)
I like keeping all the ntp  stuff in one place.

---
# NTP configuration file (ntp.conf)
###### NTP V4 ####

# Miscellaneous stuff
driftfile   /etc/ntp/ntp.drift  # path for drift file
logfile     /var/log/ntpstats/xntpd
statsdir    /var/log/ntpstats/  # directory for statistics files

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats sysstats rawstats
filegen loopstats  file loopstats  type day enable
filegen peerstats  file peerstats  type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
filegen sysstats   file sysstats   type day enable
filegen rawstats   file rawstats   type day enable

### Kernel PPS Selection
enable kernel

### Configuration section ###

server 127.127.1.0                      # Local clock
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 8            # Local stratum

server 127.127.30.0 prefer              # ONCORE #1

# server 127.127.30.1 prefer              # ONCORE #2

## server 127.127.28.0                     # SHM/WWVB
## fudge  127.127.28.0  time1 0.0251750

# Peer Section

peer clemens-fw.dwf.com
peer mythtv.dwf.com
peer mythtv-fe.dwf.com
peer orion.dwf.com

# External Servers

# server time.nist.gov
# server tock.usno.navy.mil

---

If the comments by djch-pps at whabbit.demon.co.uk and the comments
above dont get you going, please drop another note to the list
inuxpps at ml.enneenne.com, or to me directly reg at dwf.com

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com