[LinuxPPS] Debugging the pps

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 02:53:13 CEST 2011

On Friday, April 29, 2011 04:07:34 PM Marc Leclerc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When the PPS system starts, how does it goes about finding PPS sources?
> We have gone right to the soc (vortex86DX) DCD pin for a signal and its
> there so the interrupt on IRQ3 (ttyS1) is getting there and is shown
> incrementing in /proc/interrupt. but beside the messages at boot there
> is no sign at all of the subsystem. even with debugging enabled...
> should there not be at least a log entry pass boot that its trying
> something? I had that working on our old board ok (arm based with a GPIO
> driver) but on this one I am clueless as of now
>
> Thanks

You need to setup line discipline for your device.  I do this in an ntp
startup script that wraps the standard system startup script for ntp that
looks like this:

 #!/sbin/runscript
depend() {
        need net
        use dns logger
        after  ntp-client
}

start() {

        ebegin "Starting custom ntpd"

        ldattach PPS /dev/ttyS1

        sleep 2 # give ppsldisc and udev time to get settled

        /etc/init.d/ntpd start
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Stopping custom ntpd"